Summer, I mean. And the air conditioning; for a few days anyway until some Canadian air mass blows in and cools things off. I tell you what, being in Michigan is hard work. We are constantly assaulted, if it’s not Canadian air, it’s Asian Carp by way of Chicago. Good thing we can still get together and celebrate our Michigan-ness. Have you read the comments and posts (you have to click on that “McLinky” thing)? Wonderful stuff!
My husband is from Arizona, and since I don’t have an Arizona cookie cutter he made a lizard in that state’s honor. He’s very fair-minded, that A.P. Although, thinking back – how hard would it have been to free-hand the shape of Arizona?
Well, I’ll let a blogger from that state answer such pressing questions. On to weekend fun.
It’s Memorial Day weekend, of course. Here are my picks for where frugal, family-friendly, and interesting intersect:
- May 31 11:00 AM and 1:30 PM Coopersville Rail Road Troop Train – Free for vets, everyone else over 2 years old is $7.50 (it’s usually $10.50).
- Various parades around town as compiled by GR Now.
- Farmers’ Markets are starting to pick up a bit; use this listing from the Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council to find one near you.
- If you have a Grand Rapid Children’s Museum or a Meijer Gardens membership, this is the last week for the cultural exchange between the two. We went to the GRCM last week on a sunny afternoon and it turned out to be accidental genius. No one else was there.
- It’s also the last week for the Big, Big, BUGS! exhibit at the Grand Rapids Public Museum. We liked the exhibit, but not the planetarium show.
- Check out a Whitecaps Baseball game (but be sure and read my tips here first to see if you can save on tickets!).
- Relax. This is it before open houses, weddings, camps, and the hectic lives we lead in the summer making sure we enjoy every minute.