It’s been a year!! A whole year since I started Big Binder! It’s a good time to reflect on what I wanted Big Binder to be, what it has become, and where I want it to go.
I think when I started, I had somethin’ to prove. It’s easy to pick on Grand Rapids. Small potatoes, conservative, backwards, mono-cultural… These are all myths. But with any good myth, there is a little truth to them.
So my goal was to show the folks who believe GR is ‘boring’ that it’s not. I wanted to offer suggestions for events, restaurants, and activities that demonstrate our city’s multi-culturalism and energy, and to show ways that they could ease into accepting the broad spectrum of opportunities for learning that surround us.
Whitney Houston and I believe that children are our future. As Big Binder grew, so did my children, my parenting skills, and my goals. So for Big Binder’s first birthday, I have made a list of what I want. One year old blogs can be very assertive.
- I want my children, and your children, to be well-nourished.
- I want my children, and your children, to be in a healthy environment.
- I want my children, and your children, to know that they can make a difference in the world and teach them the skills to do so.
- I want my children, and your children, to have exposure to other cultures.
- I want my children, and your children, to have fun activities to do that helps their brains develop.
- I want my children, and your children, to be able to resist aggressive marketing.
Now that is not to much to ask, is it? 🙂
I think I will have a hard time taking a blog to lunch, but I still want to remind everyone of all the yummy birthday deals available in Grand Rapids I posted about previously. I have learned of a couple more since then, and here they are:
- Brann’s Steak House will send kids a coupon for a free meal, and if adults go on their birthday they will get a coupon for a sizzler on the next visit. Sign up in the restaurant.
- Grandvilla Restaurant in Grandville will give you a coupon for a free meal on your birthday to be used on the next visit.
- Baskin Robbins will give you a free scoop on your birthday.
- Perkins, Denny’s, and Bob Evans each have a birthday program with a free kid’s meal if you sign your kids up for their birthday clubs.
Thank you all so much, I have loved creating and growing Big Binder, and getting to know my readers in the process.