In my usual Halloween delinquence, we still haven’t carved our pumpkins. They have been sitting on the front porch, un-carved, for about two weeks now. Apparently the squirrels took this to mean that they should carve them, because they have completely torn into them and there are seeds and pumpkin guts all over the porch. No; I haven’t cleaned them up yet. That’s about as gory as I get.
I have decided to serve a ‘spooky’ meal for the first time this year. It is entirely inspired by some very cute Halloween placemats and napkins I got real cheap at Kohls last year on about November 1st.
So here it is – my Super Spooky Meal! My kids will probably be more scared that I am asking them to eat peppers than anything else…
Jack O Lantern Pizza
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1/3 cup very hot water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- Toppings, such as orange and green bell pepper strips, sliced ripe olives and cherry tomato wedges, if desired.
Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 450ºF. Grease 12-inch pizza pan. Cook beef in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Stir in salsa, corn and 1/4 cup water. Heat to boiling; remove from heat.
Mix biscuit mix, 1/3 cup hot water and the oil until soft dough forms; beat vigorously 20 strokes. Let stand 5 minutes. Press dough in pizza pan, using fingers dipped in biscuit mix; pinch edge to form 1/2-inch rim. Spread beef mixture over dough. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake 11 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Arrange Toppings on pizza to form jack-o’-lanterns.
Pour lemon jello into ice cube trays. Drop a blueberry or grape into each tray; let set. When you pop it out, it will look like an eyeball.
Spooky Hand Punch
- Wash a rubber glove, fill with water and tie tightly at the wrist with rubber band. Place in freezer for 1 to 2 days.
- Mix a 2 liter of ginger ale with a 46 oz container of dark colored juice (cherry, berry, etc.)
- Dip frozen hand in warm water briefly to loosen the glove. Cut glove to remove and place frozen hand in punch before serving.
For more Halloween ideas, head over to Scribbit!