Earlier this week, I was looking at an old calendar from the year A.P. was born. I had written down a goal for myself as a parent that I am not sure if I am doing a great job of achieving. It said, “Teach my children to give.”
I don’t know what age kids start understanding charity. Anyone who has a thought on this, please weigh in! I do know that my parents were always participating in some community project or another, and I just grew up accepting that being involved was a part of life.
Next weekend there is an opportunity to demonstrate to my kids – and yours – giving on a very tangible level. The Access County Wide Food Drive is Saturday, October 13. Access is an all-county emergency support system.
At the store next week, I am going to stock up on some of the most needed items:
- peanut butter
- powdered milk
- canned fruit
- chili, navy and pinto beans
- pasta products
- spaghetti sauce (not in glass jars)
- canned meat (stew, tuna, chicken),
- personal care products (dish, laundry, bar soap, toilet paper, diapers)
- whole grains (bread, oatmeal, etc.)
We are going to take a trip to the pantry and each of my children will be given a bag to fill. I will explain that there are hungry kids that need food, and ask them to fill the bags with food from our shelves. I want them to connect that we are sharing our food with other people and not just taking it from the grocery store shelf and putting it in a bag; I don’t think they’ll grasp that as giving. Then, as a family we will drop it off.
Here are the drop off locations; the time is from 10am-2pm:
- D&W – 6425 28th St SE, Grand Rapids
- D&W – 1830 Breton Rd SE, Grand Rapids
- D&W – 201 Marcell Dr NE, Rockford
- D&W – 2181 Wealthy St SE, Grand Rapids
- D&W – 9375 Cherry Valley Ave SE, Caledonia
- D&W – 3960 44th St SW, Grandville
- Family Fare, Rogers Plaza – 1148 28th St SW, Wyoming
- Family Fare – 701 68th St SW, Byron Center
- Family Fare – 2245 84th St SW, Byron Center
- Family Fare – 1225 Leonard St NE, Grand Rapids
- Family Fare – 5241 Northland Dr NE, Rockford
- Family Fare – 6127 Kalamazoo Ave SE, Grand Rapids
- Family Fare – 4175 17 Mile Rd NE, Cedar Springs
- Family Fare – 2900 Burligame SW Wyoming
- Family Fare – 2755 Lake Michigan Dr NW
- Byron Community Ministries, 8250 Byron Creek Dr.
- Cornerstone United Methodist Church, 2045 68th SE
- Faith Lutheran, 2740 Fuller Ave
- Grace Reformed, 3330 Burlingame SW
- John Knox Presbyterian, 4150 Kalamazoo SE
- North Kent Service Center, 10076 Northland Dr.
- Rockford Northview H.S., 4451 Hunsberger NE
- Plainfield UMC, 214 Spencer NE
- SECOM, 1545 Buchanan SW
- St. Peter and Paul RCC, 520 Myrtle NW
- Westminster Presbyterian, 47 Jefferson SE
If this is also a quality you are trying to pass along to your children, I humbly offer this as a suggestion and ask for any other ideas!