I seriously hope the United States develops a better mass transit system. Yeah it would be economical, efficient, environmentally sound… but that’s not why. If we don’t; A.P. will probably never get a job and he will live at home forever. A.P. is a train fanatic. The “Thomas the Tank Engine” recall about killed us.
Speaking of Thomas; we are going to ‘Ride the Rails’ soon. You see, Thomas goes on tour every year. I picture a very fancy tour bus cruising across the country with Thomas inside, bossing everyone around and demanding to talk with his agent.
Miraculously, he can appear in several places at once. I know I am a skeptic, but I would swear it looks like they just slap a giant Thomas ‘mask’ on an already existing train!! But I’m sure that’s not the case, or they would never get away with charging $18 per person.
To celebrate the upcoming event, today we will be making a train-related recipe sent to us by Grandma Nonnie. It is called “Little Engineers Cake“, and it looks SO cute!
- 1 frozen (16 ounce) pound cake, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) container white frosting
- 4 food colors of your choice
- 16 miniature sandwich cookies (Oreos)
- Assorted candies -Starburst, Tootsie Rolls, and licorice.
- Cut the pound cake in half crosswise then cut each half lengthwise to form 4 boxcar shapes. Place the cake pieces on a platter to form a train.
- Divide the frosting into 4 bowls and add a different food color to each to create 4 different colors of frosting. Frost each boxcar with a different color frosting.
- Use mini sandwich cookies to make train wheels, Starburst candies for windows, Tootsie Rolls for a smokestack and licorice to connect the wheels and boxcars to each other. Serve immediately, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
This is a Mr. Food recipe. Enjoy!